Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Hoarder?

Do you feel dirty after watching a Hoarders marathon too? It's not just me right? Also after watching hoarders, I go away a little paranoid that that may be me one day. I'm not going to be one of the gross, rotting food, dead animals (maybe people) under the trash piles hoarder. I would have everything clean and organized, but it would just be stuff. Everywhere. I remember that there was an episode where the hoarder was an artist and kept collecting things because she just knew that one day she might use that junk for an art piece. I have used that excuse...

Then I started to realize that a lot of my work deals with repetition, accumulation, layering and sometimes just pure chaos. Here's some of my work to show you what I mean.


Kortni Sheely, 2011
This piece was for my sculpture class. We were encouraged to use the big scary power tools in the workshop, I ended up using my jeweler's saw with a spiral saw blade. Each hexagon is about 2 inches wide.  

Kortni Sheely, 2011
I think this accumulation thing started in my watercolor class. I LOVE pattern. And my 3D work deals with sewing, and cross stitching a lot, so I thought what would be better than creating a pattern by overlapping linear images of sewing notions in this case thread bobbins. I'm now exploring this idea in woodcut relief which will definitely have a different look.

Kortni Sheely, 2011
This is a close up of one of my giant pincushions. I also made this in my sculpture class and this was the start of my BFA exhibition. Since then I've made more giant pincushions and wearable counterparts.

No comments:

Post a Comment